TREK4MANDELA was established in 2012 when Richard Mabaso of Imbumba Foundation and founder and visionary of Caring4Girls and TREK4MANDELA overheard a fearful conversation between his mother and his niece on menstrual challenges. This got him to take action and inspire change through establishing the TREK4MANDELA expedition to create awareness on the plight of underprivileged girls in rural and poor schools during their menstrual cycles. The ethos of Mandela Day is “Take Action Inspire Change”.
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE?
Four Options to TREK4MANDELA 2014:
• Drive and climb
• Drive and not climb - be part of the supporting team
• Fly and climb – only take part in the expedition
• Participate from the comfort of your home, office, school etc.
The 3rd Annual TREK4MANDELA takes place in July 2014 with the renowned Sibusiso Vilane and Richard Mabaso leading a drive-and-climb from South Africa through Botswana, Zambia and Tanzania (democracies that played a role in shaping SA’s freedom) and summiting of Mount Kilimanjaro on Mandela Day – 18 July. TREK4MANDELA is done to support Caring4Girls which is an initiative that supports needy girls with sanitary towels and puberty and adolescence dialogues, with research showing that a girl could miss up to 50 days of school per year due to menstrual challenges.
Our target is to raise a minimum of 67000 packets of sanitary pads in line with the 67 minutes for Mandela Day!
7 Key Milestones achieved by Caring4Girls over the last two years:
• Reached and touched the lives of over 10,000 girls
• Distributed over 130,000 packets of much needed sanitary pads since 2012
• Integration with Teach Children to Save South Africa™ of The Banking Association South Africa
• Partnered with Lil-lets We are Women
• Endorsement by the MEC for Education in Mpumalanga province
• Subsequent unwavering support by the national Minister of Basic Education
• Integration with the Umkhosi WoMhlanga (Zulu Royal Reed dance) – to support over 30,000 girls
Founder/Visionary: Imbumba Foundation
NPO: 105 134
Trust no: IT1413/2011/PMB,
P.O. Box 3166, Richards Bay 3900, South Africa
Mobile: + 27 (0) 73 557 2189
Phone: +27 (0) 35 797 3800
MESSAGE OF SUPPORT FROM THE NELSON MANDELA FOUNDATION
“We applaud this awesome team of South Africans who have achieved this incredible feat. Through their involvement, contribution and mentorship they are able to create awareness, take effective action and ultimately contribute to sustainability through self-empowerment. We want to thank the Trek4Mandela team for driving the change as community advocates. It demonstrates what can be done when people get together to serve the common good,”
says Sello Hatang, Chief Executive of the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory.